Manchester Arena attack: 22 killed at Ariana Grande concert as bomber named as Salman Abedi

The suicide bomber who killed 22 people – including an eight-year-old girl – and injured dozens more at the Manchester Arena has been named.

Speaking outside force headquarters, Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins confirmed the name of 22-year-old Abedi as the suspected suicide bomber.

“Part of this response has seen us arrest a 23-year-old man in connection to the attack,” he added.

Earlier, the Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility for the explosion that tore through fans leaving an Ariana Grande pop concert in Manchester.

During the day, armed officers raided the address of Abedi, ordering residents indoors as they carried out a controlled explosion.

Elsmore Road, where Abedi was registered as living, became the centre of the investigation into Monday’s outrage as detectives hunted those thought to be behind the blast.

The suspect was named by US security services in Washington, as those who live on the red-bricked semi-detached street said they know little about those who reside at the address.

Mrs May said “many” children were among the dead and 59 injured in the bombing at the Manchester Arena on Monday night as thousands of young people streamed from the venue.


Her statement came moments before police disclosed that a 23-year-old man was arrested in South Manchester on Tuesday morning in connection with the bombing.

The first confirmed fatality was 18-year-old sixth form student Georgina Callender, an Ariana Grande “superfan” from Lancashire who met her idol in 2015 and was excited to see her on stage last night.

An eight-year-old girl, Saffie Rose Roussos, was also confirmed as having been killed after becoming separated from her mother and sister.

Meanwhile, relatives of at least 13 people missing after the attack – including an eight-year-old girl – have launched frantic searches for their loved-ones.

Victims earlier told how an improvised explosive device carried by the attacker caused them to be thrown by the blast, which scattered nuts and bolts across the floor of the foyer area.

It is the worst terror attack to hit Britain since the July 2005 suicide bomb attacks in central London in which 52 people were killed and came four years to the day Lee Rigby was murdered by Islamist extremists.

Mrs May said that the attacker deliberately chose the place where he could cause “maximum carnage” when he detonated the bomb.

Speaking outside Downing Street after chairing a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergency committee, Mrs May condemned the “cowardice” of the attacker and hailed those who rushed to help, who had shown “the spirit of Britain … a spirit that through years of conflict and terrorism has never been broken and will never be broken”.

She vowed: “The terrorists will never win and our values, our country and our way of life will always prevail.”

Police were called to reports of an explosion at 10.33pm, shortly after Grande, the US singer, had finished her performance as thousands of people streamed out of the Arena.

More than 240 calls were made to the emergency services, with 60 ambulances flooding the area and more than 400 police officers deployed as part of the operation.

The General Election campaign has been suspended in the wake of the terror attack, which the Queen said had left the “whole nation” shocked by the “act of barbarity”.

Police have appealed for concert-goers and witnesses to provide police with footage from the scene if they believe it can assist the probe – as well as any dashcam footage taken in Manchester city centre between 8pm and 11pm.

Anyone with concerns over loved ones can contact  0800 096 0095 for assistance.



source by tele…

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.